Digital Library Photo Ideas and Suggestions
"Celebrating the Harvest in Bolivia"
contributed by Stacy Rhodes, RPCV Bolivia
Thank you for your interest in contributing to the Peace Corps Digital Library. Your contribution will help ensure that the Peace Corps’ rich legacy of service is maintained for future generations.
We are currently accepting online submissions only. Your local copy shop or photo developer can assist you with digitizing photos, negatives and slides. Please follow the technical requirements for digitization listed below.
Photographs can offer a glimpse of what your Peace Corps service was really like: your everyday life, special events in your host community, the people you lived and worked with, and the landscapes that shaped your world.
Please note that we can only accept your photos if you are the copyright holder. Generally speaking, if you took the photo, or if you are the subject of the photo and it was taken using your camera, the copyright would belong to you unless you have assigned the copyright to a third party, such as a book publisher.
- Consider selecting a representative set of photos rather than focusing on one subject or one type of shot (landscapes, portraits).
- Submit photos of daily life, work-related activities, food and transportation, cultural celebrations, etc…; please do not submit photos of vacation travel away from your site.
- Did you return to your host country years (or decades!) after completing your service? Photos of RPCVs reconnecting with host country friends and colleagues are especially welcome.
- Think about a meaningful title for each of your photos—there is a space in the photo submission form for this. Titles must not exceed 80 characters.
- Use the designated space in the submission form to describe the photo as fully as you can; only you can provide the context of the photo and the details that will bring it to life.
In order to be published in the digital library, your submission must:
- Be sensitive to the privacy concerns of individuals, including host country nationals
- Not malign the Peace Corps, or any other group or individual
- Not include inflammatory, rude or offensive language or content
- Not include links to or URLs for Internet sites
- Not be used to promote products or services
- Not include any personal identifying information such as Social Security numbers, phone numbers, e-mail addresses or street addresses.
Peace Corps reserves the right to edit or reject submissions to the digital library
- Scanned photo resolution should be 300 dpi (dots per inch)
- Do not send .zip files
- Do not paste photographs into an MS Word document; send only the graphics files
- File types .jpg and .tif are accepted
- File size of at least 2MB is preferred
You can upload photos using the online submission form.